Appcelerator Titanium: Flexible tool with pros, and a few cons
When it comes to enterprise mobile apps development, Appcelerator’s open-source, cross-platform, development product Titanium makes for a very flexible, ubiquitous, development tool.
Titanium grants the developer several important, and powerful, things:
1) a development environment that enables the creation of apps that are native to different mobile devices and associated operating systems, to include iOS, Android, and Blackberry;
2) a free, open-source, software development kit (SDK); 3) efficient code modules, which cuts down on the amount of code that needs to be written.
We can summarize some Pros thus, with a couple Cons to follow:
– By using native UI components, we achieve a distinct performance win;
– The Alloy framework works to normalize the UI across platforms;
– Added value is realized being that Appcelerator provides items such as App Analytics and Backend-as-a-Service (BaaS);
– Titanium is free, as well as open-source.
– Developers must manage platform SDKs locally; it’s recommended that you maintain a controlled build environment – a continuous integration (CI) process – particularly when targeting multiple platforms.
– SDK- related issues, due to versions and build, can rob time that is always better-suited to the delivery of product and features.
– The normalization of the UI across platforms, generally viewed as a Pro, can be a Con that requires the team to train on proprietary technology, and these skills are not applicable outside Titanium.
Appcelerator Titanium provides a powerful means to build enterprise mobile apps. Each organization will have to weigh what it can do for them, vs. any limitations that may or may not apply to their specific environment.
- ShuffleLabs Awarded Mobile App Project For DHS / US Coast Guard News- ShuffleLabs has been selected to develop a mobile app for the U.S. Coast Guard’s Incident Management Handbook (IMH), under prime contractor Applied Computing Technologies (ACT) on the EAGLE II contract vehicle.
- M2M And Security In An Insecure World Insights- Symantec is aggressively positioning themselves for the changing dynamics of security, and it brings to mind some important realizations regarding today’s vulnerabilities.
- ShuffleLabs – Personify Partnership News- ShuffleLabs is delighted to announce that we have become a Personify Certified Implementation Partner. As a Personify Partner, ShuffleLabs brings strategic value to our clients who are part of the Personify ecosystem.